March 18, 2005

Hepawhatnow?

Well, the health issues continue to plague me...my new years 2005 horoscope was right... it called for lots of illness this year. I'm off to a good start!

I spent last saturday and sunday up at whistler; just an overnight thing to get away from school and work and maybe not feel sick by the time I came home. having called in sick, I was free for at least two days to do whatever. It was less than relaxing, however, as I got even sicker when I was up there, throwing up a couple of times during my stay.

So, on monday, I went up to UBC to talk to my gastro enterologist about the meds he gave me that didn't seem to be helping. In fact, they seemed to be the reason I was throwing up! He was in his clinic out of town though, so I instead checked myself in to UBC hospital's urgent care clinic. probably a smart idea, too, as I was turning yellow anyway, and jaundice ain't a good thing! So, a few hours, an untrasound, and a bloodtest later... drumroll please... Hepatitis A! ???

So where did this come from? who knows! But, it explains my lack of energy, my sore tummy, my loss of appetite, my yellow skin, and my funny coloured pee...

Basically, Hep A is picked up from transmission through fluid, or from food preparation (needless to say, now that I have this diagnosis, my restaurant job is off my list for a while... they don't really want me around... can't understand why!), and it compromises the liver function. I can't share or make food for anyone for a while, no kissing et al, I should wash my hands whenever I think about it, and generally just stay away from people!

Good times, good times.

I seem to be through the worst of it, and I just have to wait until someone says I can go back to work and all the rest. Or when I have energy to do so, whatever comes first, I guess. I can eat lots of carbs--my body will deal better with those than anything else, so there goes my Atkins diet, I guess ;0)

So there you have it! Hmmm... maybe the spring will be better?? spirits are healthy though, even if the body is not... And as it is, "A sad soul can kill you quicker than a germ" (John Steinbeck), so I guess with my healthy attitude I am bound to win the battle!

later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon Stu!

Anonymous said...

who knew you had a blog? that plus the hep A news is too much for one day...get well soon cuz...