A birthday post a few days late, and/or a Thanksgiving post, a few days early.
Back on my birthday, I said on my Facebook page that I may be closer to 40 now than I am to 30, but that’s just fine with me. In many ways, I feel like I’ve just had my best year ever. Here's a few reasons why:
- The kids are growing and becoming real human beings with every passing day (the boy loves math… I can’t figure that one out, but I’ll just go with it), and the interactions just get more interesting every day.
- Paddling, need I say it, was a major highlight in the past year. Training was fun, racing was even better. And, as a real “adult”, I’m involved with the sport on much deeper levels. I’m an athlete representative to the board for our provincial sport organization, and I’m an athlete representative on the Cane Kayak Canada’s Paracanoe committee, newly formed in this past year (think of it like the old Hair Club for Men ads… not only am I a client…). After 26 years of paddling, It’s great to have some expertise and experience to be to give to the sport beyond being able to line up properly on the starting gates.
- I’m married to a business owner. That seems like something a legitimate 37-year-old can say. Kate’s non-profit therapy clinic for kids with complex special needs has been up and running for a while now, and they are expanding into a larger space right now to meet client demand. How cool is that?
- And the work? Oh, the work is so good! I’m now a year into my move over to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and it’s been such a pleasure. We recently had a fundraising weekend in the Sunny Okanagan—AKA Wine Country—and I was on my own for this one. Kate couldn’t come along due to forementioned office move. But as you’ll see from the video I’ve linked here, I had a fun weekend of it (this video is all the stuff I did outside of the work duties, FYI).
- Finally, the thing I like about getting older is wanting for not in the ‘material things’ category. Do you know what I asked for, for my birthday this year? A metal milk steamer jug for my coffee machine. That’s it. Steamed milk, made in a good metal container, is all I need.
So in summary, life is good. Very good. If this is what getting closer to 40 looks like, I say let’s have more of it. There is much to give thanks for! Speaking of which, enjoy your thanksgiving!
|BIRTHDAY PIE!! Apple, homemade. Delicious. (Pro-tip: do not put beeswax candles into a hot pie fresh from the oven. You end up with just wicks, and a slightly waxy interior to your pie).|