April 29, 2012

Remembering Lenami

At the time I got the call from my old boss, I was agonizing over spreadsheet data, spending what little time of sun there was over the weekend working on a head count, slicing data this way and that way.

At the time I got the call from my old boss, I was having trouble making sense of it all.

At the time of the call, I was grumbling under my breath about not brining my mouse home on the weekend, instead navigating the jungle of Excel spreadsheets with the trackpad on the laptop. The numbers were turning into four letter words.

After the call, the anger was gone, the four letter words replaced by a name. And after being awash in data and figures, there was a clear number in my head: One.

What my former boss called to tell me was that, in case I hadn’t already heard or seen the story, Lenami Godinez was dead.

Lenami Godinez, a witty, intelligent, interesting, soft spoken but self-assured 27 year old, born and raised in Mexico and living in Vancouver for the past nine years. She was also my friend and office mate in a very recent past; sitting ten feet away from me, eight hours a day, Monday to Friday.

"Lenami" is the word--the name--in my head, and ‘one’ is my consideration of her one life cut short this past weekend after a freak hang gliding accident that saw her freefall to her death.

One. One weekend that I stayed at home with the family to do family things, and do work things while the kids were napping.

One. One weekend that Lenami and her boyfriend chose to try something new, something adventurous.

I will remember Lenami for all those reasons stated above—a warm personality and a pleasure to be around—and more. She was passionately concerned for the environment, and she wasn’t someone who just talked about it. She tried to act for change, whether it was attending a free public lecture on global warming or making career moves to put her closer to an end goal of being able to affect change (she was hired on to the Ministry of Environment in past months), and even her choice of boyfriend was eco-considerate, he being an environmental engineer focused on renewable energy. Lenami was one of those people who stood for something, and you couldn’t help but admire her for it.

Willing to try new things, there were plenty of weekend outdoor adventures to be had that I would hear about when she came into the office in the mornings—bike trips, camping, painting apartment walls crazy colours while her boyfriend was away, finding her way into a random Karakoe bar with her boyfriend’s birthday entourage, subbing in for a local Ultimate Frisbee team... adventure comes in many forms, and Lenami was often looking for it, big or small...which is why even with an end so sudden and shocking as this, I am glad to know she was being herself, exploring the natural world in a brave, exciting new way.

Crunch the numbers however you like, but we only get one life on this earth. One. I will try to hold on to the thought that, before the fall, there was that one moment of new exhilaration, of stepping off the edge, of leaving land behind and being above it all like a bird.

My heart goes out to your boyfriend, your family, and your many friends, Lenami.

You will be missed, but today, we know that you are soaring.

To learn about a scholarship established in Lenami's name through Simon Fraser University, please visit http://www.rememberinglena.com/
Please consider making a donation.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lenami worked in our office as the administrative supervisor for the last 6 months. In the time she was here, you saw the staff blossom. She was kind, patient, intelligent and committed to real, positive change. I would say more but my mind is overwhelmed by the shock of losing such a wonderful human being. She is a real loss to all of us. Anyone who exemplifies such humane qualities ... God bless Lenami. Colleen Loguisto

Anonymous said...

A Facebook Memorial Page has been created in Lenami's honour. May she rest in peace.Please leave messages of condolence for her family.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lenami-Godinez-Memorial-Page/372299342822760

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a beautiful blog. I too had the honour and privilege of working with her, side by side, for many months. I will never forget her.

Anonymous said...

How thoughtful of you to post this about Lenami. She was a very bright light, a wonderful soul, who touched many lives - including mine. Maureen

Anonymous said...

All you have to do is look at her photo. You see it all in her natural smile, the peace in her eyes, such a beautiful lady.....so sad to have her taken at such an early time in her life. Prayers go out for her boyfriend and her family and all of the many friends this young lady had.

Anonymous said...

Our son is this same 'adventurous' spirit. Constantly surprising us with photos from his latest/current adventure. I once lived in fear of what he may attempt next and then he said, Mom if something ever happened to me you should know that I was in the middle of living life to the fullest in that moment! I can't be afraid for him anymore, I wish I could be as brave as he is and truly live life in the moment!! I think very few are that brave and they are who they are because they seek to enjoy their lives to the fullest. I hope that her friends and family can celebrate the life this young woman had and I would like to think that today she can soar anywhere in the heavenly realm.

Neblina said...

Hello Stu,

Please advise of memorial service details.

I am so blessed to have known this sweet soul, she had integrity and grace in everything she did.

My condolences go out to her family.

Take care,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I am a paraglider pilot, and I took part in the search efforts that afternoon, along with at least a dozen other pilots. We did all we could to find her as soon as we could, all hoping beyond hope that there might be a slim chance for her... I think that unifying in that effort helped us cope with the situation, however when it was over, a wave of sadness and shock took over. We are all reeling from this loss, wondering how it ever happened. My profound sympathies to Lenami's boyfriend, her family, and all who knew her and enjoyed her life with her.

Anonymous said...

These are lovely word for a beautiful human being...lenami was my friend since junior high and she was always smiling ... I cant understand why this happens ... but I can thank you for your words because they remember me the spirit of my friend...Marcela

Stu Chase said...

I am in awe today, that so many people have taken the time to stop, and read, and consider and reflect on Lenami's life. I can't tell you the last time that 1,000 people hit my little blog in one day--because it's never happened. Such is the effect of one life that touched so many others.

Lisa, regarding your comment on a memorial, I think the facebook page linked above is probably the best resource for that sort of news, but I'll certainly re-post it here when it shows up.

trudys_person said...

Thank you for writing this, Stuart ... you said it beautifully. Lenami was such a beautiful person and her passing is a huge loss to so many people. I can't stop thinking about David and her family and friends. The world lost someone very special this weekend. She is an inspiration ... Paula

Anonymous said...

Lenami used to frequent a cafe I worked at in the past, and we knew her as one of the regulars. She was a great patron with a great smile - my thoughts go out to her and her family through this hard time.

Anonymous said...

Your words were beautifully written. I did not know Lenami, but was so saddened and overwhelmed by her story. Even more so saddened to hear she was such an amazing human being. Deepest condolences to her Boyfriend, family and friends. I'm sure she is in Gods arms now, watching over the people she loved.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful soul may she have an endless adventure with her beautiful wings as she is now a beautiful angel may her family find the strength to hold on to the wonderful memories she has left behind may god bless you

Kevin Ault said...

I never met this wonderful person but comforted her boyfriend and family and helped with the searchers. We were bound and determined to find her before dark and thankfully we did. I and my flying friends are grief stricken that this lovely and obviously treasured human being should lose her life this way. We are all stepping back right now and re-examining our procedures and equipment so that nothing like this ever happens again. Condolences to Lenami's family, David, and their many friends.

Anonymous said...

Hello Stu,

Thank you very much, and to everyone else, for sharing such a wonderful story and picture of Lenami as a beautiful person. My condolences to everyone affected by the loss.

Desirée

pepe said...

I am so saddened to hear this news. I just watched a news story on TV and I am just hearing about this tragedy now for the first time. When I heard the name announced in the story as Lenami, I instantly thought, "NO".

I had the pleasure of knowing Lenami closer towards my leaving the BC Secretariat of the 2010 Olympics.

So though I only was getting to know her for a short amount of time. What I did come to know was precisely what everyone is saying about Lenami. She was sweet, and pleasant and to be frank...quite refreshing in contrast to much of the nonesense that went on in our office.

She seemed to me to know a secret to contentness which she carried in her demeanor and she reflected this outwardly by being a calm natured, path focused young lady.

When she would talk to me about the challenges of securing her residence in Vancouver and how her family in Mexico was dealing with her plans being so far away, I imagined how much they must miss her but also how proud they must be of their strong willed daughter.

My sincerest thoughts and empathy goes out to her friends and family. I'm happy she and I crossed paths and had I stuck around, would have hopefully had the priveledge get to know her more.

Thank you Lenami for being only you,
RIP and please keep an eye out for us... especially those nature loving thrill seekers like you. Help us to remember to be safe.

With love,
Stephanie.